No announcement yet.

Why the frenzy over `Farscape'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know exactly what you mean. There was never a sense of "been there, kicked that arse". It always seemed to get progressively worse.

I know what you are saying about it being dark as well. I think that filming so far away from the network they felt that they could push the boundaries on how dark they could get and no one would care. It just felt more realistic and made John even more of a hero because he was cracking up. I love that they fought. Anyone who has ever lived in a sharehouse knows how much people in close quarters fight and it just added to the realism of the show.

On the inverse side I also think that Farscape is so, incredibly funnier than anyother sci-fi. The dark tone of the series lets them have a warped and hilarious sense of humour. Also, when they go for the funny it has so much more impact.

And, of course, they can pull the sad. Talyn!John just died and I'd forgotten how much it hurt me the first time it happened. I cried so hard again. I'm such a baby.
    Have you ever liked somebody so much, you just wanna lock yourself in your room, turn on sad music & cry?

We are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaE View Post
      I know exactly what you mean. There was never a sense of "been there, kicked that arse". It always seemed to get progressively worse.

I know what you are saying about it being dark as well. I think that filming so far away from the network they felt that they could push the boundaries on how dark they could get and no one would care. It just felt more realistic and made John even more of a hero because he was cracking up. I love that they fought. Anyone who has ever lived in a sharehouse knows how much people in close quarters fight and it just added to the realism of the show.

On the inverse side I also think that Farscape is so, incredibly funnier than anyother sci-fi. The dark tone of the series lets them have a warped and hilarious sense of humour. Also, when they go for the funny it has so much more impact.

And, of course, they can pull the sad. Talyn!John just died and I'd forgotten how much it hurt me the first time it happened. I cried so hard again. I'm such a baby.

OMG I loved Talyn.. That was a ship bred for war. But how'd he die and the John clone died too bummer.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Crap. Sorry! I'd forgotten you hadn't seen all the series and that was a serious spoiler. It's too hard to explain and I don't want to spoil you.
        Have you ever liked somebody so much, you just wanna lock yourself in your room, turn on sad music & cry?

We are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaE View Post
          Crap. Sorry! I'd forgotten you hadn't seen all the series and that was a serious spoiler. It's too hard to explain and I don't want to spoil you.

You didn't spoil me that muich it wasn't a biggie.. I'll see it when I get the DVDs was just curious to find out ahead of time

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            Farscape could pull of humour and darkness in the same episode so well. I don't think I've seen a sci-fi show that has gotten as deeply into the psychologies of the characters as FS, though most were insane. I'm also not sure I've seen another sci-fi show that's been as dark as FS, either. Crichton being hunted constantly, everyone at each others' throats, the situations that always require Crichton to destroy something progressively bigger and bigger each season...
            Torchwood is a dark Sci-Fi, with humor. But its not as GREAT as Farscape!

I now have all the DVDs, am currently on series 2 about to watch the Bank theft episodes (can't wait!).

Like someone said above, I agree that every character is great and so well rounded (apart from Jool, I never really liked her).
            I wish they had done more episodes on Pilot as i loved his character, he looked great and was very interesting in how he reacted with the others and was always seemed so stressed with his workload.

The humour in this show is great aswell, I loved the recent epsiodes I have watched where John "returns" to earth and all the Crew are there playing earth characters and the one where they all switch bodies, Rygel is so funny in this ep!

Also I would like to say Thank you Farscape, for keeping me entertained while my Xbox 360 is off on repair!
            sigpic
            Banner Made By Me for Me
            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

I just gotta say that I'm so glad they cut down on the music past the first few episodes. In the "Premiere" and "Back and Back and Back to the Future" they have music running constantly in the background and it was driving me nuts.

The music for the opening credits also drives me nuts, but I can skip that so its okay.

Things really picked up at the end of season one didn't they?
              "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Yeah I noticed that about Farscape the opening and closing music is loud and lots of clanging and banging but it does grow on you...... Well some of us it does

But then again I've gotten to like bang and crash music like The Kidneythieves so you can prolly understand why I like the credits music.

Comment

Farscape's opening credits got better every season IMO.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Huh? I never said I didn't like it

Comment

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
                      I just gotta say that I'm so glad they cut down on the music past the first few episodes. In the "Premiere" and "Back and Back and Back to the Future" they have music running constantly in the background and it was driving me nuts.
                      I think the problem was less how much they played the music, but the music itself. In the first part of season 1 it was very cheesy, stereotypica sci-fi, 70s-sounding music. Later it became more standard fare and less intrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        Farscape's opening credits got better every season IMO.
                        Agreed.

They kept tweaking on it. I didn't care too much for the season 1 version.

As far as the episode music. Don't remember too much about season 1 as I haven't seen it in a while, but the later seasons had some nice character theme music...like in Aeryn/John scenes, etc.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by joshing123 View Post
                          I think the problem was less how much they played the music, but the music itself. In the first part of season 1 it was very cheesy, stereotypica sci-fi, 70s-sounding music.
                          ...And it never stopped! Even musicals take a break from the music!
                          But like I said, thank goodness they cut that down. The music is better now.
                          "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
                            ...And it never stopped! Even musicals take a break from the music!
                            But like I said, thank goodness they cut that down. The music is better now.
                            I guess in the first few episodes they where just trying to find their sound and style still?

As for the opeong theme music, at first I found it annoying but I soon learned to love it! Just started series 3 on my DVD marthon and they changed it to the much improved opening theme with a remixed track and re-recorded and less loud singing (if u can call it singing), However I love this newer opening theme as its the one I remember from when I first saw the show years back on the BBC (after Simpsons and Fresh Prince )

"Or should I stay, protect my home.....But then they'll never know..... The wonders I've seen......... neer ner ner neer.... ner ner neer"

Last episode I watched: "Incubator"
                            sigpic
                            Banner Made By Me for Me
                            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

The season 3 opening is definitely my favorite.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                              The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Isn't there one opening credits where he mentions protecting Earth? Not sure which season but I thought it got mentioned in that context and he had changed mind from finding a way home to that in the opening credits.

Comment

Working...
                                X